Staff Cryptography Engineer, Messaging
XMTP, Inc. was co-founded by Matt Galligan and Shane Mac, and is headquartered on the web. Our mission at XMTP Labs is to build a secure, open, and decentralized communication protocol that connects creators, communities, apps, and users. We set out to design a modern organization from the start—one that’s global, remote, and asynchronous-by-default.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in tech and crypto: a16z Crypto, Offline Ventures, Sound Ventures, Distributed Global, Redpoint, IDEO CoLab and many more key ecosystem investors and operators. See the full list here.
- 3+ years of experience blending product engineering with security, with a substantial focus on E2EE (End-to-End Encryption), cryptography, and protocols such as Double Ratchet, X3DH, or MLS (Message Layer Security).
- Demonstrates proficiency in the Rust programming language and has a comprehensive understanding of peer-to-peer (P2P) protocols.
- Has experience with the design and implementation of decentralized systems, including blockchain technologies, smart contracts, and zero-knowledge technologies.
- Is familiar with adversarial system thinking, with a track record of developing secure products and identifying potential system threats.
- Nice to have
- Has experience in conducting penetration tests and diagnosing system vulnerabilities.
- Develop and implement advanced cryptographic and E2EE solutions for innovative product offerings.
- Use adversarial system thinking to identify potential threats and establish robust defensive measures.
- Apply knowledge of P2P protocols and decentralization to bolster product security and operational efficiency.
- Incorporate blockchain, smart contract, and zero-knowledge technologies into product design to enhance security and functionality.
- Carry out penetration testing and vulnerability assessments to identify and rectify system weaknesses.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders, conveying complex security concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Collaborate with teams organization-wide to embed security best practices into all product development and operational activities.
- Keep abreast of industry developments, evolving threats, and best practices in cryptography and blockchain, and integrate these insights into the product development lifecycle.
- Generous and competitive compensation package
- Salary range between $160-250k (depending on experience + location)
- Remote-first environment with semi-yearly gatherings to connect IRL
- Full paid Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Parental Leave
- IT Equipment and WFH setup
- Monthly Wellness and Lifestyle stipend
- Personal assistant
- Flexible vacation (with minimum requirements to ensure rest and time-off to pursue your passions outside of work)
- And much more!
We think of ourselves as a “grown-up” startup—building a company that’s fair, equitable, and rewarding for everyone to work at, with an emphasis on having fun while building an ambitious project.
Joining XMTP Labs today represents not just an opportunity to play a key role in building an essential part of the next web, but also in establishing the core DNA of the company.
Here's an inside look at XMTP and some of the frequently asked questions about our culture, answered by one of our co-founders and core team members.
XMTP, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive team with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please notify your recruiter of any disabilities or time preferences based off your current location and time zone.